Skip to main content

Pretni Attack in Malaysia


Pretni in Malaysia

Malaysia is a multicultural country, while predominantly Malay, there are large communities of Chinese and Indians living there, this makes for an interesting mix of religions, cuisine and of course, tales of the supernatural.
Pretni Legs

Pretni are a particularly vicious type of Indian ghosts, said to be the spirit of women unfulfilled in life, feeling unsatisfied before their passing they return as Pretni an evil and aggressive spirit that can take on the shape of either a man or a woman. While a Pretni can fool almost anyone while in their human guise, one only has to look at their feet to see their true nature; the Pretnis feet are on backwards.

Tale of a Pretni Attack in Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia

This tale was told to me in a coffee shop in Butterworth, Penang, the gentleman who told me the tale wishes to remain anonymous, so we shall refer to him as uncle (a term of respect for elderly gentlemen in Malaysia), which is what he asked me to call him by, instead of his given name.

Tale as told to me by “Uncle”.

I had just finished working my 10 hour shift in a nearby plantation and was cycling home when I saw a young woman standing in front of a bus stop, as I passed she called out to me, “uncle uncle, please help me” I stopped and turned back “what's wrong” I called out, she started crying and walking towards me, I got off my bicycle, turned it around and walked towards her, pushing my bicycle beside me. As I got closer I noticed she walked with a funny gait, looking down at her feet, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, her feet seemed to be pointing behind her. I then looked up at her and saw her eyes; they seemed to reflect light the same as an animals would. Panicked, I realized what she was too late; she was a Pretni, an evil spirit in the guise of a young woman. I swung my bicycle around and hopped on, she saw the knowledge in my eyes and pounced, she leaped at me like a cat, knocking me over, and went for my throat, at the last second I turned my head and her teeth latched onto my ear instead of my neck. I pushed her away as hard as I could; she clamped down on my ear and bit through half of it.

With blood pouring down from my torn ear, I screamed in pain and kicked my bicycle at her, I jumped to my feet and started running, looking back I saw her entangled in my bicycle, I ran as fast as I could, running until I felt like my lungs were about to burst, I could sense her chasing me. I saw a car coming towards us, I ran towards the middle of the road, hoping the driver would see me and stop. The car came to a screeching halt just in front of me, the driver a young Chinese man came out screaming at me, asking me if I was mabuk (drunk), when he noticed the blood on my t-shirt and the Pretni running behind me,
he stopped his tirade mid-sentence; the other occupants of the car came out in a huff to support the driver, they looked behind me, the Pretni had stopped running towards me, it stared at us for a couple of second, then it shrieked loudly, my blood running down its mouth, it turned to the right and ran off the road into the jungle.

The driver and his friends were kind enough to drive me to my bicycle; they threw it in the trunk of their car (half sticking out) and drove me to the hospital.

As I listened to Uncle tell me about his encounter with the Pretni, I could not stop myself from looking at the right side of his face, when he was telling me his tale, he understated the extent of the damage to his ear and face, half his ear was missing and he had scars running down to his jaw, he noticed me looking and said “when the Prenti bit of my ear, and I pushed it away, its teeth also scrapped away some of my face, I am just happy that I got away”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pocong

What is a Pocong? In the Muslim faith, a person is buried in a shroud, the shroud is tied in several strategic locations, to keep the body properly wrapped during burial, after the body is lowered into the ground, the string holding the burial shroud is either untied or removed altogether. Some people believe that if the string is not untied or removed that the spirit of the deceased is unable to pass on and will hop out of its grave to haunt people until someone removes the “knot/string”. What Does a Pocong Look Like The pocong will look like a corpse wrapped up in a burial shroud, its appearance will depend heavily on how old it is, the older it is the more decomposed it will be, there will of course  be a pungent smell of decomposing flesh and a feeling of dread in the air, almost as if the Poncong exudes a fear inducing aura, recent lore says that it will hop around because its legs will still have been bound in its shroud, but this in no way restricts its movement, it

Toyol The Mischievous Baby Spirit

 Toyol The Mischievous Baby Spirit The toyol's origins are grim, it is said that an aborted babies corpse is required to summon this spirit, whether the toyol is the spirit of the baby or the baby is a key ingredient in the summoning is unknown, what is known is that the toyol is generally a harmless, albeit mischievous spirit. Toyol Controlled by a Master When a toyol is controlled by a master it is usually commanded to commit petty crimes, pilfering jewels, small valuables, cash and annoying the masters victims by hiding things such as keys or documents. It is also commonly used as a spy, being told to lurk around its victim and then reporting everything the masters enemy, did and said. When left to its own devices it lurks in peoples homes, plays with objects or toys that are laying around. It generally doesn't do any harm. Its appearance is that of a homunculus, it has a large head, a slightly greenish tinge to its skin and the body of an infant. It is

Banana Tree Spirit

 Banana Tree Spirit There is an old wives tale told in Asia, that if you tied a red string to one end of the ripe flower of a banana tree and the other end to your toe. while you slept, in the middle of the night you would be visited by a spirit. My friend Gary being something of a joker, thought it would be fun to try this out at home. He had a few banana tree's growing in his garden just 15 feet away from his bedroom window. He figured it was an easy enough experiment to try out. Grabbing some red thread from his mothers sewing kit, he opened his window and tied one end of the string to the flower of the banana tree and the other to his big toe, finding it a little hard to sleep with a string tied to his toe , the most comfortable position he could find to sleep in, was with him hanging one leg off the side of the bed. ''Some hours later, he doesn't remember exactly how many'' he was startled awake when he felt himself violently pulled off the bed. Scr