Skip to main content

Free Me

Free Me

The scratching on the walls were driving me crazy. Everyday I search the house for rodents, I called a half dozen different pest control companies and they found nothing. Tomorrow I am going to break the wall down and finally find out what is causing that annoying scratching sound.

I opened my eyes, and stared straight at the bane of my sleep. The wall in front of me, so innocent. Just a wall with a painting of a girl running through a field of jasmine hanging on it. The real estate lady said it was a painting of the previous owners daughter. As I lay here looking at the painting, I can still hear the scratching behind that wall. It sounds like something is trying to gnaw its way out. Soon the sun will rise and I will take a hammer to it.

At last, the sun is rising. I rush out of bed straight to the garage to get my hammer. As I rushed back into my bedroom, hammer in hand. The painting, it has been turned around.

I stand there staring at the back of the painting for what seems like an age. There are two words scratched into the back of the painting “FREE ME”.

I don't understand, I look out the window and see my neighbor walking out to his mailbox. I shout out to him to come over. He hears the panic in my voice and rushes over. When he sees the back of the painting. His reaction surprises me, his eyes start to tear up. He turns to me. “The Painting needs to be burned” he says, it sounds like he is in pain, the grief makes him sound hoarse.

When I tell him about the scratching, he doesn't seem surprised.

“they didn't tell you about what happened to Sue did they?” he asked me in a low voice.

“she was 10 when the accident happened, it was a drunk driver, Sue and her mother survived. But Hank didn't make it and Sue was paralyzed from the waist down. She would lie in bed for hours looking at the painting of when she could run in the fields. Until one day she couldn't take it anymore and she took her mothers sleeping pills”

I asked him if he knew them.

“Me and hank were old drinking buddies, until the night of the accident. I haven't had a drink since the night I hit their car on the way home” He told me, his eyes shiny with unshed tears.

We took the painting into the yard, and as we watched it burn, I swear I smelled Jasmine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toyol The Mischievous Baby Spirit

 Toyol The Mischievous Baby Spirit The toyol's origins are grim, it is said that an aborted babies corpse is required to summon this spirit, whether the toyol is the spirit of the baby or the baby is a key ingredient in the summoning is unknown, what is known is that the toyol is generally a harmless, albeit mischievous spirit. Toyol Controlled by a Master When a toyol is controlled by a master it is usually commanded to commit petty crimes, pilfering jewels, small valuables, cash and annoying the masters victims by hiding things such as keys or documents. It is also commonly used as a spy, being told to lurk around its victim and then reporting everything the masters enemy, did and said. When left to its own devices it lurks in peoples homes, plays with objects or toys that are laying around. It generally doesn't do any harm. Its appearance is that of a homunculus, it has a large head, a slightly greenish tinge to its skin and the body of an infant. It is

Pelesit the Bound Spirit

Pelesit the Bound Spirit A Pelesit is a spirit or supernatural being that is bound to a master, often inherited or passed from person to person. The pelesit is kept in a small bottle or jar in the masters home, once a month the master must feed the pelesit a few drops of their own blood to keep it bound to them. Pelesits in the Past In the days of yore, social hermits also kept pelesits as protection, once people found out that they owned a pelesit, they were left alone and were safe from prosecution or any form of petty crime. Most often they would be kept by females as a form of protection. Pelesits in Modern Times It is believed that pelesits in modern times are predominantly owned by unscrupulous Bomoh's (witchdoctors) to fleece innocent victims of their money. The bomoh's would sic their pelesit on random people, causing havoc in their lives, they would then step in and offer to exorcise the evil spirit in exchange for a paltry sum of cash. The bo

Banana Tree Spirit

 Banana Tree Spirit There is an old wives tale told in Asia, that if you tied a red string to one end of the ripe flower of a banana tree and the other end to your toe. while you slept, in the middle of the night you would be visited by a spirit. My friend Gary being something of a joker, thought it would be fun to try this out at home. He had a few banana tree's growing in his garden just 15 feet away from his bedroom window. He figured it was an easy enough experiment to try out. Grabbing some red thread from his mothers sewing kit, he opened his window and tied one end of the string to the flower of the banana tree and the other to his big toe, finding it a little hard to sleep with a string tied to his toe , the most comfortable position he could find to sleep in, was with him hanging one leg off the side of the bed. ''Some hours later, he doesn't remember exactly how many'' he was startled awake when he felt himself violently pulled off the bed. Scr